Losing 9 hours is rough.
My mom let us borrow these handy dandy silencing earphones for the plane. I was simply looking for some over-the-head earphones to use with Brycen since he LOVES earphones but I can't stand re-putting in the ear buds every 2 seconds.
But we got more than that! He fell asleep on our first plane leaving from Portland to Minneapolis (nap time) watching cartoons (we never fly anything but Southwest so to have individual TVs on Delta was pretty huge and exciting and ....about the only upside to flying Delta). After he was officially asleep, I unplugged the earphones from the tv and "silenced" them. He took a great nap and loved them.
So besides the individual TVs on our first Delta flight, I hated the rest. The flight attendants were grumpy and the plane was so nasty dirty (gum glued the back seat bucket in front of me closed, there was juice on the seat and fries stuck in the seat cracks...not to mention that you have to board an hour before take-off...when it takes Southwest 20 minutes max).
HOWEVER, the international flight amazed me. HUGE plane (you couldn't even reach the overhead lamp without standing....had your OWN remote for that :)) Yes...I haven't flown international in about 14 years and it doesn't take much to "Wow" me...haha. Not to mention, all the movies on the individual tvs were free (verse state side...you have to pay) as well as games and whatever else you could want. AND free dinner and breakfast! They even brought around a warm, moist towelettte to wash your face and hands before we landed the next morning.
The overseas flight seemed too long and too short at the same time. It was roughly 8 hours long which when it comes to being prego...was a bit too long judging by how swollen my ankles were by the end. But too short when it comes to a little toddler who usually needs about 11 hours of sleep at night and with the time change and excitement of movies and dinner...didn't fall asleep until 4 hours into it.
We landed at 10:30am Amsterdam time (1:30am Portland time) and were exhausted. Brycen is such a good traveler though and even though he woke up, he never once cried or complained as we had to go through customs and security all over again to board our 1 hour flight to Berlin. Towards the very end of our Berlin flight though, he started saying "Off plane"...a first for the little guy, normally he can't get enough of flying.
This is how he arrived to our hotel in Berlin...and we all then took a 5 hour nap.
Adjusting to the local time has been rough and still in progress. Brycen has woken up two of the three nights at 2am (5pm Portland time) wanting to go on either a bus or choo-choo ride (the things we can hear go by all night being in the city) and hasn't fallen back to sleep until 2-3 hours later. And I have woken up for the day at 6am the last two mornings despite Brycen's 2am partying and haven't been able to fall back asleep...
A few things that we HAVE been able to do between naps:
The subway (choo-choo) is right outside our window and Brycen loves it. Bryce and I each bought a month-long public transit pass since he needs to commute to work and it's how Brycen and I will get around (Brycen is free).
Brandenburg Gate.
Note: Brycen has become very opinionated about picture taking. Sometimes...he will willingly say "cheese" but usually he purposely doesn't cooperate and either doesn't look or gives faces depending on his mood.
Church was held in German, which I kind of expected, it was just a bit weird to be the ones in the congregation that needed the headset for translation.
4 comments:
Hurray! I hope you continue to have a wonderful time. Cali is doing great. We miss you!
I can't believe you are in Germany! You guys always manage to get around. I love it! Enjoy your stay there!
Very proud of you! Blogging while on vacation, you're awesome. I can't believe he did that well on the flight, I don't think I could have done as well. Yuck. I hope you explore and have an awesome time. Can't wait for more!
Yay! We are glad you are alive and well! Wish we could have been at Brandenburg together instead of a month apart!
Post a Comment