Thursday, October 28, 2010

Raisins have changed my life...


Well, first things first. After complaining about Brycen's 45 minute nap on Tuesday, it came back to bite me in the butt because yesterday he had NO nap. So...the fact that he is doing this, right now, and I'm able to sit here and write this...

Is beautiful, I don't care if it's for 10 minutes...after yesterday, it's a miracle and I think we should take a moment of silence.


Haha. Anyways, yes, Raisins.
And since this is coming from a Raisin hater, this is huge. So on Sunday, we had Raisins in Nursery as part of our snack. I was a little hesitant to give any to Brycen because he has had them a few times in the past and it usually results in them being chucked back at me. BUT this time...he loved them! He has become quite the social eater and will suddenly have a huge appetite for things he hates when he sees others, especially his friends, eating them. It suddenly becomes cool.

So, I braved going to the grocery store by myself yesterday because we needed things for dinner and I had decided that Brycen was going to have to sit in the cart. He hates the cart. But there was no way I was going to be able to chase him, restock what items he just sent flying off shelves, and somehow grocery shop. Luckily, Raisins were on the first aisle and so I broke the rules and opened the box (paid for them at the end) and started popping them in his mouth, hoping he would still have his new found love for them and stop trying to skydive out of the cart.

It worked. Beautifully, actually. He remained in the cart the entire time... as long as I filled his constant need for Raisins. Yay for loving a healthy snack! They are healthy, right? I figured they must be since I find them disgusting. Aren't they just dried up grapes?

Well, either way, I need to thank Raisins again today because they have literally changed our life. So, since Brycen didn't have a nap yesterday, he ended up going to bed at 7:30pm. It took 10 seconds (as opposed to 30 minutes, an hour sometimes...and 9pm lately). It was quite a treat and after the crazies he put me through, I sure deserved it. :) I was able to go running last night with a friend AND get to bed early!!

He then woke up at 8am this morning which was also perfect because we had enough time to make a fruit smoothie (yum!) and then go to aerobics ON TIME (this is huge for us!). And as much as I love aerobics, I typically don't go too often because Brycen spends the entire time at my feet wanting to be held. I can hold Brycen at home all I want, I don't need to drive 15 minutes each way to the church to do so...so anyways, yup, usually don't go but today they were having playgroup right after and I was determined to wear Brycen out so they he would nap! Well, thanks to Raisins, I got a full T-H-I-R-T-Y minutes (half of the class) without Brycen at my feet. As long as I kept his hands full of those delicious, beautiful raisins...he was in heaven and just watched the other kids run around. Yay!!

Eating his raisins, very into it if you couldn't tell :)

The other half of the class...not so much but that's okay because...I needed a break :) I'm not used to getting such a good workout! It was wonderful and I had fun carrying him off and on the rest of the time; his 30 pound weight gives me a different kind of workout, for sure.

And then...playgroup was awesome. Brycen loved it. It was a singing/dancing playgroup this week and Brycen just couldn't stop laughing as we sang, jumped, twirled, and ran with the others. We had a wonderful time.


Listening to instructions on what to do next.

Always interested in what the other kids are doing..

Saying goodbye to his good friend. She's two years older but is so kind to him!


They even held hands to the parking lot.

AND he was even awesome in the car ride to and from and then came home and requested his daily vitamins (a gummy) and a diaper change. haha. Ever since my friend gave us this awesome mat, Brycen can't get enough of diaper changes. Weird, I know, but no complaints here!


Purdue one side, BYU the other! We love it!
As soon as he goes (especially numero dos), he wants a new diaper AND he lays there until he has one on!
What a beautiful change that it from having to chase him and pin him down, hopefully before he decorates either the carpet or cat (it's happened, sick but kinda funny).

Man...What a wonderful day it has been! So many things to be grateful for...AND he's still napping!! One hour and counting!

3 comments:

gpbiggs said...

I'm glad you like your new changing pad. I can't think of anyone better for Tracy to share with. You have a cute boy.
Tracy's mom

Kristin said...

Raisons do qualify as a healthy snack especially when compared with other kid faves like cookies and granola bars. They do have lots of sugar but it's the natural come from fruit kind so how bad can that be? But you do need to beware because too many raisons can result in horrific diapers.....trust me!

Brycen is such a cutie!

jenn + michael said...

What a good boy!