Monday, June 20, 2011

CAMPING!!

We went camping for the first time ever (as a little family) this past weekend--making it all possible when we were given a tent this past Christmas! I was amazed at how much work it was to plan, organize, and gather things since I have never been camping without my parents...but we had SOOO much fun.

We went to Shades National Park here in Indiana with our good friends and Brycen loved it.

Brycen with our tent in the backgound.

Fire and food sure has a way of bringing men together.

Diaper time.

All three kids are saying "cheese" and yet not one is looking at the camera :)

He was in heaven.

Playground fun. Notice how green everything is! We have and are still getting so much rain this year!

Brycen is in a phase that he thinks it's so much cooler to have other kids' parents do things with/for him. I find it kind of annoying at times (making other parents do things for my child) but Tifani is a great sport about it. He has always loved her-- she makes things so fun!


Look at that grin!

Isn't she adorable? She is 3 months younger than Brycen and we get to party with her every Sunday in Nursery.

The three kids swinging. Brycen insisted on being pushed by their dad.

Leaving us to do this :)

Family picture with matching legs and all :)

Scattered thunderstorms were predicted all week and nothing came of it but that night...our tents were surely pushed to the limits with the hardest rain I have ever heard. In fear of our tent failing us and getting us soaked...I didn't sleep from 3-7 am as the rain got harder and harder and the thunder louder.... while Brycen seemed to sleep better in the tent than at home. He loved having his bedtime routine in the tent and falling asleep looking up into the trees (long before the rain-fly had to go on) and slept right through the neighbor's loud music, the Mommies and Daddies playing games and making more s'mores, the crazy humidity, rain and thunder, and car doors opening and slamming as people frantically packed up the next morning. I was amazed.

We waited out the storm (by just waiting for the kids to wake up) and were rewarded because the rain stopped just in time to cook breakfast, build the fire again, and pack up. The next thunderstorm was just starting as we drove out. We had plans to try some of the beautiful hiking the park has to offer but due to the weather, flooding, and muddy trails; we didn't. We'll definitely have to go back sometime. I hope this marks only the beginning of our camping experience.

Well...what I call camping. Bryce thinks camping where running water refers to more than a nearby stream and you set up your tent next to your car...really, doesn't qualify. But he was sure glad that I had convinced him to bring air mattress to sleep on since that is what kept us dry from the puddle that formed in the middle of our tent that night.

4 comments:

Laura Shields said...

what fun. glad the tent and the cute little family it housed survived the storm. the pictures are cute, thanks for sharing.

Becky said...

How fun! I'm glad despite the rain you had such a fun time. Our only camping trip with Levi so far was not very fun.

Celeste said...

Yay! I LOVE camping, but Paul's not a fan...looks like you guys had a good time, and what troopers! During a thunderstorm! :)

Dustin Family said...

YAY for a crazy adventure!!!! Thanks for sharing the cute pictures!!! :)