
Brycen was mimicking Daddy. Laying on his side, propped up on his elbow.
My second night in the hospital with Cian, was my first night ever away from Brycen. He had slept there with me the night before, but a twin bed for three individuals (Brycen, Cian, and myself) was just not ideal and Brycen quickly took over more than his fair share.

And since Grandma had arrived by the second night, he went home with Grandma and Daddy. He, at the time, was very excited and hugged, kissed, and waved to me at time of departure. However, around 10pm I got a phone call with Brycen bawling in the background, "Daddy, where did my Mommy go?" Over and over. He cried himself to sleep in Daddy's arms that night. And I had a tear or more myself.
Brycen continues to be a wonderful brother to Baby Cian.

He is always asking to hold him or if he can't hold him, he holds his hand or rubs his head gently while Mommy feeds him or is changing his diaper. Today, Brycen helped me give Cian his first official bath (all the others have been sponge baths). Brycen cleaned Cian's tummy while Mommy washed his hair. Brycen is also very understanding if Mommy needs to do something for Baby Brother. Ever since the hospital separation, Brycen has woken up screaming usually once at night for Mommy but I'm typically unavailable with Cian so Daddy goes in and once he says, "Mommy is feeding Cian", Brycen has no problem cuddling up with Daddy and quickly goes back to sleep.
At church on Sunday, Brycen was also fine staying with Daddy while Mommy left to feed Cian (he usually finds any excuse to leave) and he went to Nursery without Mommy for the first time (my calling is in Nursery and has been since he was 13 months old), actually telling me, "Bye Mommy, I love you" (this is HUGE!). He also never minded (no tears involved, usually an enthusiastic"bye-bye!") being left behind with Grandma while Mommy and Daddy went on dates last week or when I dropped him off at a friend's house so Mommy and Grandma could run some errands. When I came to pick him up, he ran into my arms saying, "Brycen's Mommy!"
These kind of things... I have prayed for, for a long time. Brycen has handled becoming a family of four beautifully, so far. And my little Mommy's boy is growing up. Overall, bittersweet but I think, good in the long run.
Brycen also loves his friends. He has reached an age that he plays well with others, real and fake. He adores his friends at church but he also has a doggy, giraffe, and rubber ducky that follow him around the house and hide with him and come on road trips to the library and grocery store.
He even asked Mommy to put shoes on his doggy so that he could accompany us to the mailbox today. I put on a pair of Cian's little little shoes and completely made Brycen's day. He now thinks I'm the coolest Mommy around. :)
On our way home from the mailbox though, Brycen was running with his doggy and completely face planted on the cement after tripping. His nose immediately started bleeding and Brycen was hysterical for the next hour straight (it sure didn't help that he didn't have his normal nap). I held him as he cried in my arms and I tried to do everything to make him feel better. We watched "Charlotte's Web" together before he fell asleep in my arms. I held him for 3 hours, he didn't want to do anything else. Dinner didn't get made but Cian slept through it all, allowing just the two of us to cuddle--rare but precious, precious moments these days.
I sure love my boys.
Notice: He is holding Cian's hand. LOVE it! And his poor red lip, nose, and head are from his fall on the cement.
5 comments:
Poor Byrcen. Look at that little sad face, anyone would cuddle with that for forever. Glad you got the chance to. On a happy note, Brycen is so sweet holding baby brother. Can't believe he's two and a half though.
aw, poor buddy! I'm so glad you were able to just hold him and give him that snuggling he needed just from you. You are such a patient and nurturing momma. I never would have let my child sleep in the hospital with me, but you just completely give yourself to his needs, and I truly admire that.
Brycen is such a sweet boy! I'm so glad things are going so well for you guys.
Brycen sounds like the perfect big brother!
You forgot to mention how Brycen shares his candy with his "dog" and "ducky" Walker. He puts their share on the nose where it stays!
Post a Comment