Once upon a time, there was a 5 month old boy named Brycen that had a strong desire to touch everything within a 2 feet radius of him. Well, his poor mommy is still getting used to this and didn't realize when she laid Brycen on the bathroom floor in preparation for bath time; that she laid him in harm's way. As she turned away to start the bath water, Brycen's curiousity led him to pull a nearby black cord that was dangling about a foot away. This fasinating black cord belonged to that of a very hot hair strightener that had been turned on when the light switch was flipped on ( something Mommy is still trying to get used to). Brycen pulled the cord, and sent the straightener in free fall to land perfectedly around his arm causing him to literally scream bloody murder. Mommy immediately picked up the straighter and Brycen and ran the burn under cold water for a few minutes (something she just learned to do two weeks before from her husband, thank goodness!). However, serious damage had occured and Brycen ended up in the ER with a second degree burn.
The happy part: Brycen is such a trooper! He only screamed for about 2-3 minutes right after he was burned, fell asleep in the car on the way to the ER, woke up in the happiest of moods, and absolutely loved meeting the five ER employees/nurses/doctors that took a look at his burn. As soon as they came into the room, he shot them the biggest smile (showing off his very own two bottom teeth) and then continued to be fascinated by his new friends and the lovely gagets that hung around their necks and in their pockets. Brycen would let his new friends know if they got too close though by his speedy ability to sample their fingers and pens with his mouth. haha. Every single person (all the other ER patients as well) loved Brycen and the last nurse said that his smile made her day and she just wanted to take him home. Other comments he recieved: ER patients:"It's been a looong time since I have seen a cute redheaded baby". "He's so beautiful!". "Awww!"From other ER employees: "What a big boy!" "He already has fangs? At 5 months old?" haha.Waiting for the doctor to come in..

How many patients take their picture with the emergency sign?

Big band-aids make it all better!

Anyways, what a day Brycen had. Pulled off 1.5 new teeth (one broke through the skin, one is soo close) and a trip to the ER. Lessons learned by the mommy: 1: It might be part of the ER policy, but the constant questioning and hard looks she received from the ER employees weren't fun, she does not abuse her son! Sadly, she knows that there are some that do and it's understandable that they need to be suspicious so they can report any abusers..but still! 2: She has a genius of a child and is struggling to baby proof the house when he isn't mobile. How in the world, will she be able to when he IS mobile?? She's terrified...of what her INFANT is capable of.. what's wrong with that statement? 3. Her already full time job as a mommy just turned into a 24/7 job...no more, "I'm just going to look away for two minutes" episodes. 4. Realization that this is just the beginning, can you imagine Brycen as a toddler...teenager? Oh boy.... He is soo much fun but way too smart and curious. I guess that's what she gets for marrying the smartest guy she ever met...she gets the smartest baby she has ever met (and she has done A LOT of babysitting in her lifetime).
The End.
4 comments:
Oh my goodness! That story breaks my heart. What a little curious trooper! How are you holding up?
I remember the first major owie that Ryanna got and I was so upset my neighbor had to convince me she would survive and I was not a horrible mother. These things happen unfortunately. Good luck!!!! and keep on babyproofing!!
I cried, barely made it safely to the ER, and then couldn't stop thinking about how this was my fault for leaving the hair straightener out. I find it hard to see my little one in so much pain but he smiles through it, letting me know it's okay. I'm just grateful that he is okay and that it's something I can learned from now before he becomes too mobile and gets himself in more trouble! I'm also grateful that I was right next to him ,rather than in the other room or something, and could immediately take the straightener off. I feel very blessed. Thanks for you comments! Miss you guys!
I remember the first time Ethan got hurt during my watch. He fell down a flight of stairs while trying to walk down, being wrapped in a blanket. I felt SOOOO bad! I was like "Why couldn't I just keep my dang eyes on you all the time like I'm supposed to??"
Post a Comment